Providing a tranquil respite from its urban surroundings in northwest Philadelphia, the 2.4-mile Radnor Trail (also known as the P&W Trail) travels through wooded areas from Encke Park at Radnor-Chester Road to Sugartown Road and Route 30. The trail follows along the former corridor of the Philadelphia and Western Railway Company (hence the the ‘P&W’), which was founded in 1902 as part of a proposed intercontinental electric railway that would continue to San Francisco aboard luxuriously appointed rail cars. While that plan did not come to fruition, the route did provide service from Philadelphia’s 69th Street Station to Strafford, with trains initially running every quarter hour for the half hour trip. The line remained in use until 1956, and in 2005 the corridor re-opened as the popular multi-purpose Radnor Trail. With a tree canopy covering much of the route, the trail offers shade on hot summer days. Trail users will note a number of historical markers along the way which chronicle the region’s past, including noteworthy stations along the way. It is also possible to access the Wayne Art Institute from the trail, and future plans include extending the route to connect with the Chester Valley Trail, Valley Forge and the Heinz Reserve. For more information: www.radnor.com/radnortrail
Photos: Township of Radnor