K&T Trail Extension Now Open!
Authored By: Riverfront North Partnership
Mayor Jim Kenney, Representatives from the City of Philadelphia, elected officials, and other special guests gathered with Riverfront North Partnership and community members to cut the ribbon and celebrate the grand opening of a new trail segment along the Delaware River in Northeast Philadelphia on August 11th.
It is the newest addition to the Riverfront North’s planned 11-mile linear network of trails and parks and an extension of the existing Kensington & Tacony Trail. This Northeast Philadelphia trail section will eventually connect with the Delaware River Trail in central and south Philadelphia. Residents can now enjoy an uninterrupted two-mile section of riverfront trail in Tacony and connections to the only public boat launches on the Delaware River in Philadelphia. This trail also serves as an important link in the Circuit Trails, the region’s multi-use trail network of more than 375 miles of completed trails. It closes a key gap in the Circuit Trails, which is critical momentum to achieving the Circuit Trails Coalition’s goal of 500 miles by 2025. It is also an important segment for the East Coast Greenway, a 3,000 mile trail from Florida to Maine.
Special thanks to the following people and organizations for their efforts to make this challenging section of trail a reality and helping us celebrate this huge accomplishment:
- The Circuit Trails
- Philadelphia Parks and Recreation
- East Coast Greenway Alliance
- Mayor Jim Kenney
- Senator Jimmy Dillon, District 5
- Rep. Joe Hohenstein, District 177
- Councilmember Mike Driscoll
- Orlando Rendon, Interim Commissioner Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
- Patrick Starr – PA Vice Chair, Circuit Trails Coalition
- Jane Golden – Executive Director, Mural Arts Philadelphia
- Barb Bauer – Program Manager, Tacony Lab Community Arts Center
Explore the news coverage of this event and featured photos below:
- Philadelphia Inquirer – “Waterfront trail with views of Delaware River opens in Tacony — two decades in the making”
- WHYY – “The K&T trail along the Delaware River in Northeast Philly has been expanded”
- Philly Voice – “Paved walking and biking trail extension opens in Tacony along Delaware River”
- KYW – “City officials celebrate new trail along the Delaware River in the Northeast”