Resource Round Up: National Bike Month Pedals into the Region
Authored By: The Circuit Trails | May 17, 2017
This May, cyclists around the nation are celebrating National Bike Month, which highlights the many reasons why bike enthusiasts love to ride and encourages more people to consider biking as an alternative means of transportation. Our region is fortunate to have a network of trails and bike lanes that makes bike commuting even easier. With a network like the Circuit Trails, it’s safer than ever to make the switch to a two-wheeled commute – plus, it’s better for the environment and helps support a healthy lifestyle.
Interested in trying it out? In honor of Bike to Work Week (5/15 – 5/19!) our friends at the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia are hosting Bike to Work Day this Friday, May 19. There will be three energizer stations – Penn Museum, 13th & Pine and the Schuylkill River Trail – and free coffee and swag for bicyclists across the city. Plus, at the end of the day, they will host a discounted happy hour at Yards Brewery.
Our region is full of great organizations promoting biking and trails with events, tips, rides and more. We’ve curated a short list of blogs and events from across the region to help you make the most of National Bike Month!
Stay Busy During Bike Month With These Events (Plus A Contest!)
- The Bicycle Coalition’s Round Up of Bike Month events coming up this month
- Register to Join the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia for Bike to Work Day 2017
- Bike to work with commissioners of MontCo and ChesterCo in a free group ride Friday, May 19
- Get a free bike tune-up (and snacks!) on Wednesday at the Kimpton Hotel, thanks to Keswick Cycle
- Share a picture of your bike ride during Bike Month – you could win tickets to the Independence Seaport Museum!
Helpful Guides to Make Your Bike Commute Run Smoothly – For Beginners and Experts
- How to Get Back on a Bike – Years Later
- How to Be Equipment Ready for your First Long Distance Trail Ride
- Join the Trend – Pedal to Work
- Bike Safety 101
More Fun Reads about Bike Commuting and Why You Should Consider It
- MAP: Bike commuting rate by Philadelphia neighborhoods
- 5 more reasons why you should bike to work (and in general)
We hope that these resources will give you an extra push to dust off your bike and hit the trails. Use our trail finder tool to find Circuit Trails near you so you can add to your 500-mile Challenge total during National Bike Month (and beyond!)